Thursday, June 24, 2010

Recipe Thursday: Courtesy of my husband

I admit it: sometimes, I forget that my husband was a fully functioning adult before we met, and that he continues to be a fully functioning adult, who chooses to be with me and doesn't need me take care of things.

That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but the general idea holds. I don't always give him the credit he deserves.

Anyway, the other night we had a thrown together meal of rice and beans (an indian style soybean mix in a microwavable pouch). To make an appetizer, he got fish sauce and cilantro, too.

1) He taught me a trick for cleaning cilantro: remove stems from needed amount; rinse under water in your hands, and squeeze off excess moisture. Place on the edge of a paper towel, and then roll the towel, squeezing out the remaining water. Voila!

2) He then finely chopped it, salted it and peppered it
3) He made rice balls as best he could from our rice, and rolled them in the cilantro.
4) Some fish sauce was placed in a dish.
5) Rice balls dipped in said dish.
6) Pop in mouth and enjoy!

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this. Usually, I am not a huge cilantro fan. I like it, but find that it can easily overpower a dish, or that too much has been added to something. The combination of rice, cilantro and fish sauce, though, was wonderful (if not a bit salty, though, this can be easily altered, and I do like salt).

And because I know you are on the edge of your seats, wondering about my tomatoes:
There are about 6 tomatoes in various stages of growing right now. I have plenty of blooms that I hope will develop fruit.

I did learn this weekend, though, that I have been severely under-watering the tomatoes. Luckily, it had been a rainy spring, so the plants didn't die of thirst out-right, but I suspect that the water deprivation affected the fruit development.

No comments: