Thursday, April 8, 2010

Recipe Thursday: Sweet Potato Fries

I love sweet potatoes. They are so rich in flavor, and generally good for you, too. There are a few mid-range steakhouses where sweet potatoes are a regular side, and sweet potato fries are popping up on more and more menus, substitutable for regular fries.

Fried food is still fried food, so you do need to consider that if you are out and considering your side options. At home, though, you have more control. Personally, I don't have a fryer, and don't really ever have enough oil, or the right kind of oil on hand for frying. But, no bother, fries can be made in the oven.

The first time I did sweet potato fries, I followed a recipe from the Food Network's website. Since I didn't print it out, I've been dredging my memory, and cobbling together recipes from other sources to create a workable sweet potato oven fry.

In this quest, I've burnt more than a few sweet potato sticks...

Here's a basic recipe upon which you can build and with which you can play:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.

Wash two sweet potatoes (or however many you want, since I'm generally cooking for 2, two potatoes works), and cut into roughly sticks. (think thick carrot sticks)

Toss in up to 1 tbsp. olive oil. Salt to taste, if desired. Spread on a backing sheet. You want one layer of sweet potato sticks, so if you have a smaller oven or more potatoes, you may need to do this in batches.

Bake 30-40 minutes, tossing the fries occasionally. My oven doesn't heat very evenly, so at 40 minutes, I've been burning a few of the thinner pieces.

Several recipes I saw say to pat excess moisture off the fries before baking. This will help the exterior to crisp up. I've often neglected this step, and ended up with soft, tasty, and slightly crisp fries that are more reminiscent of roasted veggies than fries I'd get at a restaurant. Still very tasty.

No comments: