Monday, April 19, 2010

Yahoo agrees with me!

...on HFCS!
An article on what nine ingredients to avoid in food, and guess what! they are overwhelming fake or manufactured ingredients!

Some things to avoid include: 
Artificial flavoring, colors, and sweeteners, even "friendly"ones like Splenda.

High Fructose Corn Syrup made the list. Our body processes it differently than sugar-sugar. Apparently, it has to go through the liver.

Shortening, hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils. Go on, try to say that three times, fast. These are palm and soybean oil, among others. These have high levels of trans fat. So, don't simply believe the nutritional fact graphic, because if the content of something, per serving is 0.4 grams or less, they can round down to 0. Sooooo - something can have partially hydrogenated oil, but still claim to have 0 grams of trans fat in their nutritional facts section. Can I just say how mad that makes me? 

I'm also upset to learn that Yoplait yogurts have HFCS in them. We were at the store, buying yogurts to have on hand for breakfast, desserts, and sweet treats (trying to be good and avoid ice cream!). Dannon and Yoplait were both on sale for 50 cents a single serving carton (I know the big carton is more cost effective - but the flavors!!). I looked at the ingredients for several flavors of both, and quickly put the Yoplait down. I suppose it is nostalgia that makes this loss sting more than others. I remember my mom getting Yoplait, and collecting the tops to send in. Guess I won't be doing that anytime soon.

Even if HFCS are/were fine in moderation, who can eat them in moderation without being vigilant in an attempt to avoid them!

Just wanted to share!

No comments: