Thursday, February 4, 2010

Recipe Thursday: Quick Cabbage

Alright, from here on out, every Thursday, I'll post some sort of recipe that meets most, if not all, the following criteria: simple, good for you, and inexpensive.

Something you should know about my recipes: they are either extremely precise, or very general ideas of what to do. This Quick Cabbage, an adaption of a recipe from my trusty Joy of Cooking, is the latter, and meets all three criteria!

This recipe yields yummy, slightly sweet cabbage that is tender, and a nice accompaniment to any main dish.

Fill a pot with enough water to cover the cabbage, and set it to boil. *Note: at this time, the cabbage isn't in the pot.

Wash your head of cabbage, and cut off how much you want. A quarter of a head is usually good as a small side for the husband and I. Half a head will leave us with seconds, and possibly left overs.

Cut the cabbage into desired shape and size. I like roughly one inch strips

By now, the water should be rapidly boiling. Plunk your cabbage into the boiling water, and poke at it to ensure every bit gets submerged.

Boil until the color sharpens. Green cabbage will become more vibrant. I've only done this once with red cabbage, and it did take a bit longer than did the green.

Watch the cabbage carefully! This does not take long. I continue to poke at it, to keep things moving and submerged.

When the color has been reached, and the cabbage is firm, yet tender, drain off the water. Toss in about half to a whole tablespoon of butter, and salt and pepper to taste. I often omit the salt and pepper.

Enjoy!

And if you try it, let me know what you think!

No comments: